Computer forensics or digital forensics is a term in computer science to obtain authorized proof found in digital media or computers storage. With digital forensic investigation, the investigator can find what happened to the digital media reminiscent of emails, hard disk, logs, computer system, and the network itself. In lots of case, forensic investigation can produce how the crime could happened and the way we are able to protect ourselves in opposition to it subsequent time.
Some the reason why we need to conduct a forensic investigation: 1. To gather evidences so that it may be used in court docket to resolve legal cases. 2. To investigate our network power, and to fill the security hole with patches and fixes. 3. To get better deleted recordsdata or any files within the occasion of hardware or software program failure
In computer forensics, a very powerful things that must be remembered when conducting the investigation are:
1. The original proof should not be altered in anyways, and to do conduct the process, forensic investigator should make a bit-stream image. Bit-stream image is a little by little copy of the original storage medium and actual copy of the original media. The distinction between a bit-stream image and regular copy of the unique storage is bit-stream image is the slack area within the storage. You will not discover any slack space data on a copy media.
2. All forensic processes should follow the legal legal guidelines in corresponding nation where the crimes happened. Each nation has completely different regulation suit in IT field. Some take IT rules very significantly, for instance: United Kingdom, Australia.
3. All forensic processes can only be performed after the investigator has the search warrant.
Forensic investigators would usually looking on the timeline of how the crimes occurred in well timed manner. With that, we are able to produce the crime scene about how, when, what and why crimes could happened. In an enormous firm, it’s urged to create a Digital Forensic Staff or First Responder Staff, so that the corporate might still protect the evidence till the forensic investigator come to the crime scene.
First Response guidelines are: 1. Certainly not ought to anyone, apart from Forensic Analyst, to make any attempts to get better data from any computer system or gadget that holds digital information. 2. Any try to retrieve the information by particular person mentioned in number 1, must be prevented as it might compromise the integrity of the evidence, wherein became inadmissible in authorized court.
Primarily based on that rules, it has already explained the essential roles of getting a First Responder Workforce in a company. The unqualified particular person can only safe the perimeter in order that nobody can contact the crime scene till Forensic Analyst has come (This can be done by taking picture of the crime scene. They will additionally make notes about the scene and who were present at that time.
Steps have to be taken when a digital crimes occurred in knowledgeable manner: 1. Safe the crime scene till the forensic analyst arrive.
2. Forensic Analyst must request for langley the search warrant from native authorities or company’s management.
3. Forensic Analyst make take a picture of the crime scene in case of if there isn’t a any images has been taken.
4. If the computer is still powered on, do not turned off the computer. As a substitute, used a forensic tools such as Helix to get some data that may solely be discovered when the computer remains to be powered on, equivalent to data on RAM, and registries. Such tools has it’s special perform as to not write something back to the system so the integrity keep intake.
5. Once all live evidence is collected, Forensic Analyst cant turned off the computer and take harddisk back to forensic lab.
6. All of the evidences should be documented, through which chain of custody is used. Chain of Custody hold data on the evidence, similar to: who has the evidence for the final time.
7. Securing the evidence should be accompanied by legal officer reminiscent of police as a formality.
8. Back in the lab, Forensic Analyst take the evidence to create bit-stream image, as authentic evidence should not be used. Normally, Forensic Analyst will create 2-5 bit-stream image in case 1 image is corrupted. After all Chain of Custody nonetheless used on this state of affairs to maintain data of the evidence.
9. Hash of the original proof and bit-stream image is created. This acts as a proof that authentic proof and the bit-stream image is the exact copy. So any alteration on the bit image will end in totally different hash, which makes the evidences discovered change into inadmissible in court.
10. Forensic Analyst begins to find proof in the bit-stream image by rigorously wanting at the corresponding location will depend on what sort of crime has happened. For instance: Non permanent Internet Recordsdata, Slack House, Deleted File, Steganography files.